The Department of Civil Engineering was established during the inception of the college. Apart from offering B.Tech. in Civil Engineering, two M.Tech. programs, Structural Engineering and Environmental Engineering and Ph.D. in civil engineering are offered. The major strength of this department is its faculty. Highly qualified, experienced and committed faculty members significantly contribute to the growth of the college in general and this department in particular. Students are offered world class training both in theory and practice. Industrial training is part of the curriculum both for UG and PG students. The Department has been accredited by the National Board of Accreditation of AICTE, New Delhi and the U.G. programme (B.Tech. - Civil Engineering) has been awarded an A grade for Five years.
The curriculum is periodically enriched and updated with the latest in the field to serve the need of the hour. The importance of laboratory classes is enunciated to familiarize the students with the latest cutting edge technology and advancements in the field. The students are duly trained in software like AutoCAD, NISA, STAAD PRO, GT STRUDL, Geomedia Professional, Surfer and MATLAB encompassing the courses covered in the curriculum.
Project Work has been undertaken and path-breaking results produced in the following fields:
- Artificial Intelligence and Fuzzy Logic Applications in Civil Engineering
- Traffic Management
- Identification of Accident-prone areas
- Fiber Reinforced Concrete
- Computer Aided Analysis and Design
- Water Resources Augmentation
- Fuzzy Logic Decision Support Systems for Water Restoration
- Recovery and Reuse Techniques
- Ground Water Modeling, Assessment and Application
- Resource Recovery based Treatment Techniques
- Environmental Impact Assessment
- Energy Buildings
- Seismic Evaluation of Structures
- Earthquake Resistant Design of Structures
- Retrofitting of Structures
- Seismic Micro-zonation of a Region
- Fire Resistant Design of Structures
- Non-Destructive Testing of Structures
- Health Monitoring of Structures
- Surveying Digital Electronic Theodolite, EDM, Digital Planimeter and all other Conventional equipments.
- Material Testing The equipment range from microprocessor controlled UTM (1000 KN) to spring testing machine.
- Fluid Mechanics & Machinery Flow visualization test rigs, turbines, pumps, various flow measuring devices, etc.
- Environmental Engineering Facilities to carry out all types of physical and chemical analysis of water and industrial effluents.
- Geotechnical Engineering The lab is equipped with the latest in the field like pressure meter, UCC tester, SPT, Triaxial Shear apparatus, Pore Pressure apparatus, Plate Load tester and all conventional equipments.
- Transportation Engineering CBR loading frame, Marshall Stability apparatus, Benkelman beam.
- CAD Centre The lab houses a total of twenty Pentium 4 based systems with all high level language compilers and software like AUTOCAD, STAAD Pro, Geo Media Professional, Surfer, MATLAB, ETABS, SAP etc.
Digital Compression testing machine (2000 KN), Non-destructive test kits, basic testing amenities for all types of building materials, accelerated curing tanks and equipped with state-of-art equipment on materials study.
Atomic Absorption Spectrophotometer, BOD incubator, Photo Electric Calorimeter, PH-meter, UVVIS Spectrometer, Ultra Filtration Unit, Ion Exchange Unit, etc.
Traffic study equipment and microprocessor controlled data acquisition system with loading frame for evaluating fatigue strength.