Initially, Pondicherry Engineering College was affiliated to the University of Madras for its first batch of students, who were admitted in the academic year 1985-86. With the establishment of Pondicherry University (Central University) by the Govt. of India in the UT of Puducherry, all the academic programs of the college have been affiliated to this new University from the second batch of students onwards. Recently, Pondicherry University has awarded the Permanent Affiliation status to Pondicherry Engineering College . The college is already enjoying an ‘autonomous status’ under Pondicherry University in running its postgraduate programmes under the Choice Based Credit System (CBCS), for which the college conducts examinations, publishes results and forwards the recommendations to the University for the award of degrees.
The curriculum and syllabi of all the programmes are revised at regular intervals to keep pace with the latest developments in the respective areas of specialization and they are vetted by practicing professionals from reputed industries in and around Pondicherry. With the rich experience of ‘academic autonomy’ gained over the past 18 years in running its post graduate programmes, the college is seeking an ‘Autonomous Status’ under Pondicherry University for running all the programmes.
The admission to B.Tech programmes is made through Centralized Admission Committee (CENTAC), Government of Puducherry. 85% of the total intake is earmarked for candidates belonging to UT of Puducherry and the remaining 15% is for candidates from other States of India. Out of the seats earmarked for candidates belonging to other states, five seats are allotted by MHRD. The admission for the students belonging to UT of Puducherry is on the basis of merit-ranking of marks secured in the qualifying exam, whereas, for the candidates from other States, it is based on the AIEEE score.
Admission through Lateral Entry for Diploma candidates (20% of the sanctioned intake) is effected at the second year for all undergraduate programmes. Lateral entry for Diploma holders in Engineering is allowed only for the residents of Union Territory of Puducherry and the admission under this scheme is through an entrance test conducted by the CENTAC (Lateral Entry). The admission to M. Tech courses is based on GATE score. 75% of the total seats are reserved for candidates belonging to UT of Puducherry and the remaining 25% for candidates belonging to other States of India. The office of CENTAC is located in the college premises and services of the faculty members and staff of PEC is utilized for various activities of CENTAC.